Enrollment Process for Immigrant Students
ACS Procedures for Identification and Educational Services for Immigrant Children
- ESL teachers will use the following information from the Home Language Survey:
- When did the student enter the US?
- Has the student attended another school in the US?
- If identified as foreign born and entering the US less than three years prior, the student will be identified as Immigrant.
- A student will be considered an Immigrant for the first three years he/she is in the US.
- Students identified as Immigrant will be reported by the ESL teachers to the school secretary for correct coding in the student management system.
- Periodic review of student data in EIS will be conducted by the Information Specialist to determine accuracy.
- Immigrant students are eligible for any or all services provided in their schoolwide programs if meeting program-specific criteria, including, but not limited to, School Lunch, Title I, IDEA, ESL, McKinney-Vento, Migrant, PreK, and/or 21st Century Before and After School Care.