Tips for Preventing the Summer Slide into 1st Grade
Below are a few ideas provided to you by your child’s teachers. We would greatly appreciate you & your child working on these throughout the summer.
“Inside EVERY child is a rainbow waiting to SHINE”
- Visit the E.G. Fisher Public Library! They have a summer reading program, where students can win prizes for reading. Included is a Reading Log that they can bring back on the first day!
- Log into Epic Books! Epic books is a free online program that students can search hundreds of books and watch videos that connect to our standards.
- Read newspapers, magazine articles or any book that you may already have at home and use the 5 Finger Retell after reading
- Make copies of the chart included to practice writing numbers to 120. You may also use this for counting and adding/subtracting as needed.
- Zearn and Prodigy and free online math programs that adapt to your child’s level as they progress! www. Zearn.org prodigygame.com
- Flash cards for adding and subtracting without regrouping. Flash cards can easily be made with recycled paper your family is no longer using.